Monday, July 22, 2013

love for my main man


My lovable, dramatic, brave, trusting, strange beyond all measures, intuitive, trooper of a babe died the other day. I, and so many other people, were greatly blessed to share a part of our lives with Todd. I might be biased, but he was one of the best dogs I have ever met. He helped me through a lot over our two years in the Philippines, and brought joy to both the people of Anda, those he met on his journey to the U.S. and all those who loved him in Erie.

At first I wrote an 8 page single-spaced blog about my main man, but figured that might be a bit much. All that to say the little man had quite the adventurous life full of spunk, a love and curiosity for all living things, and lots of holding and ear massages with the occasional episode of shrill screaming at the top of his lungs if he felt like he wasn’t a part of a conversation.

Many people loved Todd deeply, and Todd loved many people. Kids that used to be terrified of dogs grew to love Todd and bought him toys with left over lunch money. When I left the Philippines he got as many remberences as I did. Before coming to the U.S. I told people that he was a special dog, but I'm not sure people really believed me until they met the little guy. He managed to win over just as many, if not more, hearts in the U.S. as he had in the Philippines. He shared a lot of love and joy with the world. 

And now, after a life much longer than I ever expected him to survive (he really had quite a few close calls), he is reunited with his original barkada: Blackie, the other Blackie, Princess and Tim Tim. I imagine they are living in a land of plentiful food, no disease, more stuffed animals and toilet paper rolls than they know what to do with, jungle forests to roam, chickens to chase, couches to sleep on, and lots of holding. And, I have no doubt they are causing havoc in that land while charming all those they encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment